Monday, January 16, 2006

Might I ask

Might I ask: To what shall I compare thee?
A thing of nature, a thing of beauty;
Reminding forever that which God drew
In eloquence. I essay to word thee new.
Sail I to the great horizon to see,
Sail I as a wandering bark at sea;
A’ this to find what best describes a friend.
Might I add: for whom live I until end.
Until the sickles come, when the Shadow
Leaves the shadow with no more tomorrow;
In that cold hour, when courage turns to fear,
Not a dirge but thy chime shall fill my ear.
Gone may the flesh be; but so long as time
Be forever fleeting, and these my rhyme
Art to thee a poor altar; as these remain,
Youth shall thy name be, which time shall not stain.
Asked, “What then befits compare to thy friend?”
Nay more but a friend; friend until the end.

No comments: